Monday, March 8, 2010

Daddy's first solo weekend with Mia

Last weekend Mary went out of town to visit Cathy and Adam? Since Mary was out of town, it left me solo with Mia for the very first time. Overall, the weekend went pretty well.

My parents came by on Friday right after I picked up Mia from the nanny’s house. Grandma had bought Mia a new doll that Mia really enjoyed. Grandpa played with her for a little while and she started to get fussy as it got close to bedtime. Grandma gave her a bath then handed her off to me to do the bedtime routine. Grandma said that the whole bath time/bedtime routine went far better this time than it did last time. Mia went to be easily and downstairs we had a nice dinner and watched “The Hurt Locker” (fyi, the Hurt Locker was good, however it didn’t deserve to beat out Avatar as the best picture at the Oscars)

Picture of Grandma and Mia with Mia holding her new doll

Mia is still a little rough on Grandpa Al

Mia woke up at about 2:00 and was a little hungry. I gave her about 6 ounces of milk and she went right back to sleep. She woke up in the morning a little after 5:00 and I gave her breakfast. In the morning Grandma and Grandpa offered to take care of her so that I could go play football with my Saturday morning group.

After I got home, we ate a quick lunch then Grandma, Grandpa, Myself, Mia, Stoli and Diesel all went for a little walk. The walk went really well and after the walk Grandma and Grandpa hung around for a little while so I could take a quick nap before they left.

Grandma and Grandpa left, then I packed up Mia and we went over to Nanny Michelle’s house because they were having a little keg party. Mia and I went over there, and Mia experienced her first keg party. I posed Mia by the keg for a couple pictures. She had a lot of fun at the party, however we had to leave pretty early as Mia had to go to bed far before the party was over.

A funny thing that happened during the BBQ. Nanny Michelle's daughter Jasmine asked me if she could hold Mia. Every day when jasmine gets home from school, she plays with Mia and helps her Mom until Mary or I get there to pick up Mia, so I am very comfortable with Jasmine playing with Mia. After about 5 minutes, Jasmine came over to me holding Mia. She said "Mark, when was the last time you changed her, her diaper feels full." Of course everybody heard this and laughed because I was being questioned by a 9 year old. I laughed out loud when she asked this. I looked her right in the eye and said "I don't know, I picked her up from here yesterday at 4:45, so I guess it was sometime around then." Jasmine looked completely shocked, until I told her that I changed her diaper right before I came over.

Mia at her first Keg Party

We came home, then I gave Mia a bath and put her to bed. Very lucky for me, Mia slept all night, because I was very tired on Saturday night.

Mia woke up about 5:30 on Sunday morning and started the morning off good. We were going to go down to the Domain to go walking in the morning, however the weather was a little cool and rainy to do that. We came home, and Nanny Michelle’s daughter Jasmine came over to help me take care of Mia during the day. Jasmine was very helpful in terms of playing with Mia during the day and keeping her occupied so that I could get some cooking done. It was sometime around 1:00 that Mia decided that she was getting tired of the B team and wanted Mary to be there. Mia was pretty fussy from 1:00 until Mary got back around 4:45. I had Mia standing on the counter when Mary walked through the door and as soon as Mia saw Mary she got a big smile on her face and gave Mary a big hug.

Mia doing her first keg stand

Overall the weekend was a success, and I proved to myself that I could do it, however there is no doubt that Mary really is Mia’s favorite and that she will put up with me for a day or two, however I have about a 48 hour shelf life with Mia before she is done with me and looking for Mary.


kim said...

Mark, I applause you for a successful of the father-daughter solo weekend. It was not that bad.

Mary said...

You did great. I hope I do as well next weekend!